GROUND LIST

Thursday 3 August 2017

MFK RUŽOMBEROK (Štadión pod Čebraťom)

UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE 3rd QUALIFYING ROUND 2nd Leg,
MFK RUŽOMBEROK 0-1 EVERTON, ATTENDANCE: 4,752

Hello and welcome back. Here we go with another season of groundhopping!


Season 2017/18 began as 2016/17 ended, that is watching a game over in Europe. My team, Everton, qualified for the Europa League after finishing in 7th place in the Premier League last season. This meant entering at the 3rd qualifying round stage.

When the draw was made it was an either or situation, as it was made between the legs of the second qualifying round. Everton would either face a trip Norway or Slovakia. As SK Brann won 1-0 away from home, this seemed the most likely destination. However MFK Ružomberok obviously had other ideas and, thanks to two goals in the final 12 minutes, it was they that progressed. Destination Slovakia.



I jumped in feet first and booked a flight. The first thought after booking was the capacity of Ružomberok's stadium. From it's heyday of 20,000 capacity was now a mere 4,800 (this is more than enough as the club have an average gate of around 1,700) so the demand for tickets was going to be huge.

I certainly would not qualify for a ticket in the away section, Everton's allocation being just 450. Given past European experiences, I know the Blues supporters would travel in numbers so it could be problematic actually getting in. Had I just effectively spent a load of money travelling to watch a game in a bar? There were Internet rumours that the game could be switched to a larger capacity ground, Žilina perhaps, but they proved to be just that as Ružomberok quite rightly decided to play at home.

I landed in Vienna the day before the match and took the bus to Bratislava, my base for the night, before heading into it's delightful city centre for a few nightcaps. Le Senk craft beer cafe, with its choice of 8 taps, was the highlight if you are interested to know.


Ružomberok train station


Ružomberok is in the northern part Slovakia, in the Liptov region of the country, which is famous for it's ski resorts. The town's main industry is paper. In fact I received a bizarre text message from my brother asking does the town smell like our local paper mill? I can't say I noticed any lingering aroma! Andrej Hlinka, a politician, priest and activist, has the delightful town square named after him. Other famous people from the town include Hollywood actor Peter Lorre and football player and manager Dr Jozef Vengloš, who had a disastrous season in charge of Aston Villa in 1990/91.


 The local delicacy (left) Bryndzové halušky - dumplings with sheep's-milk
cheese topped with bacon bits. If you didn't fancy that, you could always
try the local kebab shop (right).

Ružomberok is a three and a half hour train journey from Bratislava. I arrived in the town around 1.30pm and, after checking into my hotel, set about trying to obtain an elusive match ticket. Armed with a makeshift notice with the words Máte vstupenku na predaj? Ďakujem written on it, I walked around the pretty little town, with its population of around 30,000, and then up to the ground but I had no offers but plenty of smiles. Clearly an English Premier league team were a massive draw.




 I then headed to a bar near the ground, to meet up with a few mates, and effectively settled myself in for the evening, but still leaving said notice visible on the table. It was in the bar that my wish came true! A local chap came along and said he had a ticket for sale and after a wee bit of negotiation, with the waitress translating, a fee was agreed. I went outside to complete the transaction and the ticket was in my hand. Bingo!


The holy grail!

I bounded back into the bar with a beaming smile across my face but then one of the lads, who had a ticket in the Everton end, said that is a different layout to his. Indeed it was. The ticket had the logos for a league game across the top, whereas his ticket had Europa League written across the top. Another lad, who had managed to bag themselves a ticket in the home end, also showed me his ticket and that also had Europa league written across it. I was now starting to think the worse. I needed another drink. Good job the beer was only one euro a pint!



Mestský Futbalový Klub Ružomberok began life as Rózsahegyi Sport Club in 1906 but changed their name in 2003. The club traditionally played in white, yellow and red, but the club sponsors insisted on changing the colours to orange and black in 2005. Ružomberok are nicknamed The Rose, with the flower and a football used in the team’s crest.

Štadión pod Čebraťom Stadium is about a 20 minute walk from town and it's name literally translates as "stadium at the foot of the Čebrať Hill" As mentioned previously the capacity is 4,800 and is two sided, with stands on either touchline. There is empty space behind one goal and a Tesco supermarket behind the other - many Evertonians were wondering if their clubcard points could be exchanged for a standing spot on the roof!





Ružomberok gained promotion to the Slovak Second Division for the first time in 1993 and then to the Slovak Super Liga in 1997. Ružomberok enjoyed the most successful season in their history in 2005/06 when they won the domestic double, lifting the Slovak Super Liga and Slovak Cup.

The club qualified for this season’s Europa League after finishing third in their league in 2016/17. They edged past Serbian side Vojvodina 3-2 in the first qualifying round then beat the aforementioned SK Brann in round two. Everton laboured to a 1-0 first leg victory courtesy of Leighton Baines' deflected shot which meant tonight's game had potential banana skin written all over it. Certainly Ružomberok would fancy their chances?

I headed up to the ground about an hour before kick off and set about seeing if the ticket I had bought was for real. Whilst wandering around to my turnstile entrance there were plenty of Everton fans milling around trying to obtain tickets or find a way into the ground. A couple of lads made a dart for an open gate and promptly got cuffed by the local feds.

I arrived at my entrance and, after a short queue, I placed my ticket under the scanner. Nothing. Then once again. Nothing. I began to feel the beads of sweat on my forehead but then a steward took my ticket, scanned it and "beep" the green tick flashed before my eyes. I was in.




The seat was spot on and I was two rows in from the front. I was within touching distance of the Everton heroes in blue! I however managed to restrain myself from asking Kevin Mirallas and Gareth Barry for a selfie, though it was very tempting to try and beckon Big Dunc over!

The match was not a great spectacle as both teams barely mustered a decent effort between them for the majority of the game. Jordan Pickford, making his Everton debut, was barely troubled. Morgan Schneiderlin headed over the bar and Ružomberok's Erik Daniel hit a shot wide but that was about it in the opening period.

The deadlock was broken 11 minutes from time thanks to a superb solo effort from Dominic Calvert-Lewin. The striker picked up Davy Klaasen's pass and burst through before firing the ball low past Matus Macik in to the net.

Highlighting his appeal, and despite being largely anonymous, Wayne Rooney was given a very generous ovation from the Ružomberok fans around me as he was substituted before the end of the game.

Despite the tepid affair it was mission achieved for The Toffees and the draw for the play-off round meant the Blues will be heading to Croatia, where they will face Hajduk Split. Unfortunately I will not be able to make that trip but whether that is a blessing or a curse remains to be seen. Up The Toffees!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.